Programs & Initiatives
The Roxbury Action Program engages in projects and programs that are consistent with our values and our goals for the community. We offer our own programming as well as provide support for grass root organizations that provide essential services to our neighborhoods.
Current programs include:
- Turkey Give-Away on Thanksgiving (5000 families helped!)
- Local Health Initiatives
- Purchase of historic property with the goal to renovate and convert to a community hub
Some of our past programs:
- Harlem Book Fair in Roxbury – An annual outdoor celebration of literacy promoting local authors publishers, entertainment, literacy, and health promotional activities.
- Harlem Book Fair in Roxbury – Literacy Luncheon & Awards Celebration – Held previous to the Book Fair spotlighting several local authors and poets with awards for local residents who have furthered the promotion of literacy in the Roxbury/Boston area.
- Campaign: “June is Literacy Month in Boston”
- Poetry Open Mike and local authors presentations.
- Intergenerational Literary events for local writers and performers
- Annual Trip to Harlem, N.Y. Book Fair
- Development of Home Ownership opportunities for low and moderate-income RAP tenants and other Highland Park residents.
- Sunday Jazz and Intergenerational Poetry concerts involving local professional jazz musicians and young musicians from local middle and high schools.
- Establishment of the Patricia Raynor Scholarship Fund at Roxbury Community College
- Roxbury Day: In 1988 Roxbury Action Program began the Annual observance of a celebration of Roxbury Pride – Live It! which has developed into the Roxbury Cultural and Historical Festival of Roxbury Day.
- Completing a “Save the Children Monument” – in memory of children killed in Highland Park and dedicated to the youth of the area. Its installation will be an impetus for the work on violence prevention being currently planned by RAP.
- Collaborating with Dudley Main Streets to enhance the economic and cultural richness of the Dudley Square area.